Thursday, June 3, 2010

Bare Block Back!

After two weeks (I missed the weekly shot peen schedule by hours!), we finally got the block back!  It is hot dipped, baked and shot blasted.  After the cleaning work, I had DG Machine do a magnaflux on the block to verify it had no cracks.  Fortunately, there are NO CRACKS!

The guys at DG Machine have been very helpful and were willing to let me throw some paint on the block before it left their shop.  I have attached a few pictures to show the progress.  I took about 6 light passes on the paint to make sure there were no runs and to cover the rough spots from the original casting imperfections.  There were several areas on the exterior of the block that had casting flash.  I left it original and didn't grind or sand any of it down.  Some people will smooth the exterior of the block for visual appearance, but with the extra surface area that the rough casting provides and all the other cool looking stuff that is going in the engine bay, I think I will be ok without it.  Besides, anybody that can see the side of the block shoe-horned into this engine bay either has too good a mirror, or WAY too much time!

By the way, the boy in some of the pictures is my son Samuel.  I told you at the start of this it would be a family project and it is.








No comments:

Post a Comment